This novel study aligns with the Hidden Figures young reader's edition, which shares the powerful story of four African-American female mathematicians at NASA who helped achieve some of the greatest moments in our space program.
Before John Glenn orbited the earth, or Neil Armstrong walked on the moon, a group of dedicated female mathematicians known as “human computers” used pencils, slide rules, and adding machines to calculate the numbers that would launch rockets, and astronauts, into space.
This book brings to life the stories of Dorothy Vaughan, Mary Jackson, Katherine Johnson, and Christine Darden, who lived through the Civil Rights era, the Space Race, the Cold War, and the movement for gender equality, and whose work forever changed the face of NASA and the country.
This novel study was created to be used in the secondary science classroom with a major focus on science vocabulary and reading comprehension.
- No-prep, and extremely user-friendly, this novel study is perfect for the whole class, small group, or independent study.
- Perfect for distance learning. Both print and digital versions are available so students can access the digital version from home or school.
- Excellent for school OR homeschool. No-prep and so easy for teachers, parents, and students to follow!
The Hidden Figures Novel Study is broken down into word study and comprehension sections as well as a final project:
- Before You Read p 3
- Word Study: Chapters 1-3 pp 4-6
- Comprehension Questions: Chapters 1-3 pp 7
- Word Study: Chapters 4-7 pp 8-10
- Comprehension Questions: Chapters 4-7 pp 11
- Word Study: Chapters 8-11 pp 12-13
- Comprehension Questions: Chapters 8-11 pp 14
- Word Study: Chapters 12-17 pp 15-18
- Comprehension Questions: Chapters 12-17 pp 19
- Word Study: Chapters 18-23 pp 20-22
- Comprehension Questions: Chapters 18-23 pp 23
- Women In Science Project pp 24
*Answer key is also included.
Hidden Figures Product details:
- Publisher : HarperCollins; Illustrated edition (November 29, 2016)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 240 pages
- ISBN-10 : 9780062662378
- ISBN-13 : 978-0062662378
- Reading age : 8 - 12 years
- Lexile measure : 1120L
- Grade level : 3 - 7
Copyright © Nitty Gritty Science, LLC. All rights reserved by author Dr. Erica Colón. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.