Lake Biome Model – 3D Model – Biome Project
Lake Biome Model
Did you know that when your students are developing and using models, they are engaging in the practices of the Science and Engineering Process focused on in the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)?
Not only does the Nitty Gritty Science Lake Biome Model make use of the NGSS Science and Engineering Process, it also supports the following targeted performance standards from the NGSS:
5 – LS2-1. Develop a model to describe the movement of matter among plants, animals, decomposers, and the environment.
MS-LS2-3. Develop a model to describe the cycling of matter and flow of energy among living and nonliving parts of an ecosystem.
Modeling can begin in the earliest grades, with students’ models progressing from concrete “pictures” and/or physical scale models to more abstract representations of relevant relationships in later grades. (NRC Framework, 2012, p. 58)
Along with the model activity, Nitty Gritty Science will provide the following with this download:
- Background of developing and using models in the science classroom.
- Teacher Guide (with colored photos) of building the Nitty Gritty Science models.
- Template for optional pocket to hold brochure/model key.
- Template for correct sizing of brochure and model key.
- Two options for models – one with and one without labels.
The following are featured in this model:
- Crab Larvae
- Bay Anchovy
- White Perch
- Blueback Herring
- Atlantic Tomcod
- Striped Bass
- Blue Crab