Pumpkin Life Cycle Model – 3D Model – October Science
Pumpkin Life Cycle – 3D Model
Did you know that when your students are developing and using models, they are engaging in the practices of the Science and Engineering Process focused on in the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)?
Not only does the Nitty Gritty Science Pumpkin Life Cycle Model make use of the NGSS Science and Engineering Process, it also supports the following targeted performance standards from the NGSS:
3-LS1-1. Develop models to describe that organisms have unique and diverse life cycles but all have in common birth, growth, reproduction, and death.
3-LS3-1. Analyze and interpret data to provide evidence that plants and animals have traits inherited from parents and that variation of these traits exists in a group of similar organisms.
5-LS1-1. Support an argument that plants get the materials they need for growth chiefly from air and water.
Modeling can begin in the earliest grades, with students’ models progressing from concrete “pictures” and/or physical scale models to more abstract representations of relevant relationships in later grades. (NRC Framework, 2012, p. 58)
Along with the model activity, Nitty Gritty Science will provide the following with this download:
- Background of developing and using models in the science classroom.
- Teacher Guide (with colored photos) of building the Nitty Gritty Science models.
- Template for optional pocket to hold brochure/model key.
- Template for correct sizing of brochure and model key.
- Two options for models – one with and one without labels.
The following are featured in this model:
- Vine with Flower
- Green Pumpkin
- Two pages of cut-outs (three if you want the pocket for the key) - all which are included in this download
- Colored pencils