The Great Debate – Science Matters: Tourism
Click here to download a preview of The Great Debate - Science Matters: Tourism
The Tourism Debate asks students to debate the question:
"Is tourism a problem?"
This download includes the following:
- 8 Fictional Character Cards (student roles) - 4 characters are FOR the topic and 4 characters are AGAINST the topic
- Student Worksheets - whether actively debating or in the audience, students will need to research the topic, generate questions, and determine if sources are credible
- Teacher Guide - offers debate-style options, objectives, and keys to running a successful debate
- Assessment Rubrics - one for summative grading and one for peer assessment based on behaviors of the debate team
- Classroom Posters - useful reminders during a debate
The Great Debate: Science Matters is a learning series from Nitty Gritty Science to help foster science literacy among your students.
For students to achieve skills that build science literacy means that educators need to give them tools to become informed and avoid being misinformed on science issues. This includes teaching students how the scientific community produces information, how media and social media share the information, and how individuals encounter and form opinions on this information.
Science Debates are a perfect learning tool to build science literacy skills by encouraging students to:
- Develop research skills
- Evaluate both sides of an issue
- Collaborate with peers
- Become critical thinkers
- Form opinions and communicate with others who may have a different point of view