This novel study aligns with The Science of Breakable Things by Tae Keller
Eggs are breakable. Hope is not.
When Natalie's science teacher suggests that she enter an egg drop competition, Natalie thinks that this might be the perfect solution to all of her problems. There's prize money, and if she and her friends wins, then she can fly her botanist mother to see the miraculous Cobalt Blue Orchids--flowers that survive against impossible odds. Natalie's mother has been suffering from depression, and Natalie is sure that the flowers' magic will inspire her mom to love life again. Which means it's time for Natalie's friends to step up and show her that talking about a problem is like taking a plant out of a dark cupboard and giving it light. With their help, Natalie begins an uplifting journey to discover the science of hope, love, and miracles.
This novel study was created to be used in the secondary science classroom with a major focus on science vocabulary and reading comprehension.
- No-prep, and extremely user-friendly, this novel study is perfect for the whole class, small group, or independent study.
- Perfect for distance learning. Both print and digital versions are available so students can access the digital version from home or school.
- Excellent for school OR homeschool. No-prep and so easy for teachers, parents, and students to follow!
The Science of Breakable Things Novel Study is broken down into word study and comprehension sections as well as a final project:
- Before You Read p 3-4
- Word Study: Pages 3-27 pp 5-8
- Parts of a Flower p 9
- Word Study: Pages 28-72 pp 10-13
- Botany p 14
- Word Study: Pages 73-125 pp 15-18
- All About Magnets Word Search p 19
- Word Study: Pages 129-178 pp 20-22
- Word Study: Pages 179-798 p 23
- Word Study: Pages 199-244 pp 24-27
- Newton's Law of Motion p 28
- Word Study: Pages 245-292 pp 29-32
- Project pp 33-34
*Answer key is also included.
The Science of Breakable Things Product details:
- Publisher : Yearling
- Language : English
- Paperback : 320 pages
- ISBN-10 : 1524715697
- ISBN-13 : 978-1524715694
- Lexile measure : 840L
- Grade level : 3 - 8
Copyright © Nitty Gritty Science, LLC. All rights reserved by author Dr. Erica Colón. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.