Section 2: Lab Safety
Conducting research and doing experiments in a lab setting can be a lot of fun. However, scientists make sure to follow a set of lab procedures to ensure their safety and prevent accidents from occurring.
Lab safety rules:
- Follow all instructions given by a teacher
- Protect eyes, face, hands, and body by wearing proper clothing and equipment including goggles, aprons, and gloves
- Never work in the lab alone
- Never eat or drink in the lab
- Never engage in horseplay in the lab
- Notify the teacher immediately if there’s an emergency
- Handle living organisms carefully and with respect
- Clean up spills immediately
- Properly dispose of lab waste according to teacher’s instructions
- Know the location of first aid equipment in the lab
- Clean your area and wash hands when finished with the lab
Lab safety symbols:
- Why is it important to follow rules in the lab?